Sunday, June 17

See you AMO

Today I cancelled my tiny plan on the web hosting service A small orange. Lets sum up and move on.

To be honest, AMO provides a decent price, complete toolset, and especially, very responsive helping desk. You know the pain to set up a django project in production (and now I know too), I come across several problems during the setup; guys at AMO gave me a lot help. Thank you all.

But back to the setup, compared with webFaction, my first try, AMO is not optimized for django. It does have a step-by-step wiki for us (which is very detailed and clear), but it does not cover the whole set. I mean there is a chance you could succeed following the wiki, but situations are different in different cases. Moreover, it does not address the static file issue. Django itself does not have the ability to let the server know where to find static files it needs, js, css, pics, etc. The final solution I used is to put all static files under the default dir where I used to serve my static pages. It does not seem to be instinctive because it is separated from the django project. Anyway, I am still new to django so we will see.

At last, anyone likes to build their own website I still recommend AMO. Its tiny plan is a great start ($35/yr for 250MB storage); not to mention their super helpful support guys. Maybe when I try all services online, I will go back to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment